- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering (machine learning and signal processing focus), University of Washington, Seattle.
Thesis: "Generative Models for Similarity-based Classification." Advisor: Prof. Maya Gupta. I continued working at the APL-UW during my doctoral studies.
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
PROFESSIONAL, COMMUNITY SERVICE AND RECOGNITION
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE - See also my LinkedIn page.
- Independent Soccer Data Analyst - Volunteering my passion for soccer, my analytics skillset, and technical leadership experience to furthering
the adoption of data-informed decision making in soccer; conduct data analyses on my own time/initiative; collaborate with clubs.
- USSF Licensed Soccer Coach - Ballard Youth Soccer Club, 2019-2020;
Whitman Middle School, 2022.
- GeekWire "Geek of the Week"
- NATO Science and Technology Excellence Award - Highest honor given to a team
of NATO scientists.
- Co-organizer and co-chair - Special session on "Learning from Pairwise Relationships"
Cognitive Information Processing Workshop (CIP), 2010 (with Ela Pekalska).
- Technical Program Committee - Workshop on Maritime Domain Data Mining at ICDM 2016; International Workshop on Similarity-based Pattern Recognition and Analysis (SIMBAD) 2013 and 2011;
OCEANS 2010 in charge of Signal and Image Processing track.
- Journal Referee - Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI) , IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Journal of Advances in Information Fusion (JAIF), Pattern Recognition Letters, ICML, Signal Processing, OCEANS, FUSION.
(past activities; not actively reviewing papers at this time)
- Professional Societies - IEEE (senior member).
- AFCEA Ph.D. Fellowship - only 1 U.S. Ph.D. candidate/year selected.
- NURC Research Assistantship - only 2 U.S. graduate students/year selected.
- Community service - Board member/volunteer for the Italian Cultural Center - Il Punto!, Blakeley Place Condos.
PATENTS - See also my publications.
- Founder, Symilis Data Strategies LLC, Seattle, USA.
- Director of Data Science, Zulily, Sattle, USA
- Senior Manager, Applied Science, Zillow, Seattle, USA
- Director/VP of Data Science - Amplero, Inc. Seattle, USA
- Senior Scientist - Machine Learning and Data Science, Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation, La Spezia, Italy.
- Lead Principal/Senior Scientist, Machine Learning Platform, Globys, Seattle, USA
- Research Scientist/Engineer, Applied Physics Lab, University of Washington-Seattle, USA.
- Affiliate Scientist/Faculty, Applied Physics Lab, University of Washington-Seattle, USA.
- Research Assistant, NATO Undersea Research Centre (NURC), La Spezia, Italy.
- Senior DSP Engineer, Cantametrix, Inc., Seattle, USA.
- Scientific Programmer, Insightful Corp., Seattle, USA.
- Systems Engineer, Cellular Technical Services, Seattle, USA.
- Automated device-specific dynamic operation modifications. US 10248527: Apr 2, 2019.
- Automated identification of device status and resulting dynamic modification of device operations. US 10353764: Nov 8, 2018.
- Unsupervised prioritization and visualization of clusters. US 9659087: May 23, 2017; AU 2013344416 B2: Jul 21, 2016; SG 11201503844X: Nov 23, 2015.
- Time series-based entity behavior classificationTime series-based entity behavior classification. SG 11201501775U: Feb 11, 2016; AU 2013315747.
- Automatic Identification of Sound RecordingsAutomatic Identification of Sound Recordings. US 7328153: Feb 8, 2008